Statewide SANE Information

Statewide SANE Coordinator

Kathy Bell MS, RN
Forensic Nursing Administrator
Tulsa Police Department
600 Civic Center
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74103

Role of the Statewide SANE Coordinators

The role as Statewide SANE Coordinator is to coordinate, support and enhance the existing SANE programs as well as develop new SANE programs throughout Oklahoma.  The coordinator's goal is to build the infrastructure and alliances with appropriate agencies to promote consistent, professional and victim-centered medical and forensic response and treatment for the sexual assault patient. 
Oklahoma SANE Programs
See Oklahoma SANE Programs page 

Although every sexual assault victim has the right to report the crime, not all choose to do so.  Patients 18 years of age and older, have the option of whether or not to report the assault.  Regardless of whether they report the assault, all victims have the right to a medical forensic examination, crisis intervention, counseling, support groups and medical care.  Whatever the circumstances, you did not deserve it, it is not your fault and you do not have to cope alone.

120 hours for adult and adolescent
A sexual assault nurse examiner can evaluate an adult or adolescent victim whose assault has occurred within the previous 120 hours (5 days).

How do I know if I've been sexually assaulted?
Sexual assault is defined as any sexual activity involving a person who does not or cannot (due to alcohol, drugs, or some sort of incapacitation) consent. 

According to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, "sexual assault can be verbal, visual, or anything that forces a person to join in unwanted sexual contact or attention."  Sexual assault can describe many things, including:

  • rape, including partner and marital rape
  • unwanted sexual contact (touching or grabbing)
  • unwelcome exposure of another's body, exhibitionism, or voyeurism
  • child sexual abuse
  • incest or molestation
  • sexual harassment
  • sexual exploitation of clients by therapists, doctors, dentists, or other professionals

What to do if you have been sexually assaulted?
1. Go to a Safe Place

  • After experiencing a traumatic event such as sexual assault, it is important to find a place where you feel comfortable and safe from harm

2. Call for Assistance

  • Call 911/or your local rape crisis line ( See above for a listing by city/county)

3. Seek Medical Attention

  • To check for injuries; you may have injuries that you can't see or feel
  • To prevent sexually transmitted infections
  • To prevent pregnancy
  • To collect evidence (For adults evidence collection does not require you to place a report with the police or press charges; it preserves these options for the future.)

4. Preserve Evidence

For the purposes of evidence collection, we suggest that you avoid: 

  • drinking
  • eating
  • showering/bathing
  • brushing your teeth
  • combing your hair
  • changing your clothes

If you have done any of these things, evidence can still be collected and it is still important to seek medical attention.

If you have changed your clothes, take the clothes you were wearing at the time of the assault to the hospital in a paper bag (not a plastic bag).

How do I know if I've been drugged?
It is often hard to tell. Most victims don't remember being drugged or assaulted. The victim might not be aware of the attack until 8 or 12 hours after it occurred. These drugs also leave the body very quickly. But there are some signs that you might have been drugged:

  • You remember having a drink, but cannot recall anything after that.
  • You feel drunk and haven't drunk any alcohol - or, you feel like the effects of drinking alcohol are stronger than usual.
  • You wake up feeling very hung over and disoriented or having no memory of a period of time.
  • You find that your clothes are not on right or torn.
  • You feel like you had sex, but you cannot remember it.

Where can I go for help?

  • Call 911/or your local rape crisis line ( See above for a listing by city/county)
  • Go to a local hospital

How can I help someone who has been sexually assaulted?
You can help someone who is abused or who has been assaulted by listening and offering comfort. Go with her or him to the police, the hospital, or to counseling. Reinforce the message that she or he is not at fault and that it is natural to feel angry and ashamed.

How much does it cost?
There is no charge for the forensic medical exam.

Do I have to report it to law enforcement?
Adults over the age 18 are not required to report their assault to law enforcement. 

Emergency Contraceptive
Patients of different ages, social, cultural and religious/spiritual backgrounds may have varying feelings regarding acceptable treatment options for pregnancy prevention.  The various options will be explored in detail at the time of the exam.

Sexually Transmitted Infections
Contracting a sexually transmitted infection is typically a concern of sexual assault patients.  Because of this concern it will be addressed as part of the forensic medical exam is not typically performed.

How do I find out the investigator in my case?
Contact the law enforcement agency in the city or county where the crime occurred.

How do I file a Victims Compensation Claim?
Call 1-800-745-6098 or your local District Attorney's Office

Statewide Education Opportunities


Janet Chappell, RN, BS, BSN
Statewide SANE Coordinator
Tulsa Police Department
600 Civic Center
Tulsa, OK 74103


Oklahoma Department of Human Services, 

Statewide Abuse Hotline: 1-800-522-3511 

Ann Patterson Dooley Family Safety Center 

Oklahoma Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault 



Oklahoma District Attorneys Council Victims Services Division

Campus Safety Guide 

» Tulsa Forensic Nursing Services

Quick Links

Mayor's Action Center