Back to School Safety
ARCHIVED PRESS RELEASE: Published 8-19-2013
Parents should talk to children about school safety and keep
these important tips in mind:
- If your children will be walking to school, walk the route with
them beforehand. Choose the most direct way, and be sure the route
has sufficient sidewalks, lighting and crossing guards.
- Absent a crossing guard, be sure your child knows when it is
safe to cross the street.
- Make sure your child walks to and from school with other
trusted schoolmates and follows the tried and true axiom, "Never
talk to strangers."
- Teach your kids to obey all traffic signals when walking or
biking to school.
- When biking, be sure your child has a helmet and appropriate
- When waiting for the school bus, always stand on the curb away
from the roadway. Always remain seated while on the bus.
- Be sure your child knows a phone number where you can be
reached in case of an emergency.